Marble surfaces are often selected for their extensive beauty and elegance. Although Marble is a natural stone it is more susceptible to staining and scratching by many common liquids or substances found in homes. Any acidic substance that may meet your marble countertops can cause a chemical reaction that will etch and remove the polish of the Marble. The Granite Guy uses the highest level of care when working with Marble, but certain characteristics of Marble may be unavoidable.
- Marble is a natural product that is more porous than granite and therefore, more susceptible to staining and chipping.
- Some Marbles are harder than other Marbles and will hold up better, but no Soapstone is harder than granite and may scratch.
- Marble often comes with faint surface scratches that are hard to see unless in certain light.
- Marble slabs often come already scratched straight from the supplier and those scratches are often unavoidable and will appear in the countertops.
- Marble may lose shine over time.
- Marble requires frequent applications of sealant.
- Seams in Marble countertops tend to be more visible than granite countertops.
- The Granite Guy will install Marble in kitchens and baths but wants to make you, the customer, aware of the possibilities of the material not holding up as well as other stones. The Granite Guy will not remake any Marble countertops.